General Counsel & Secretary
Posted on: April 16, 2019
Closing Date: April 28, 2019The General Counsel and Secretary (
General Counsel ) will provide a variety of general corporate and
commercial legal services to in-house clients of Teck American
Incorporated and its subsidiaries as well as other Teck
companies.The General Counsel will report to the TAI Board of
Directors with a dotted line to the Senior Vice President,
Commercial and Legal Affairs of Teck Resources Limited ( TRL ),
Teck s parent company, in Vancouver.The General Counsel will hold
primary responsibility for overseeing all U. S. legal affairs for
the Company. This includes support of the Red Dog mine in Northwest
Alaska, the Pend Oreille mine in Washington, exploration projects
in Alaska, Minnesota, and the Southwestern U. S., and management of
legacy properties throughout the Western U. S. The successful
candidate will also assist in the management of Teck s office in
Spokane, Washington.The successful candidate must have the ability
to work with and gain the trust of executives and employees at all
levels of the company. Compatibility and fit as well as timely
advice are of the utmost importance.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and
environmental rules and procedures.
- Review, analyze and advise on a wide variety of contracts for
all U. S. entities of parent company Teck.
- Provide legal support in the substantive areas of employment,
environmental, government relations, safety, land management,
sales, corporate governance, compliance, and litigation
- Support governance under and implementation of the Company s
complex operating agreement with NANA Regional Corporation, the
landowner of the Red Dog mine.
- Serve as an officer and secretary and handle corporate
governance for all U. S. Teck companies.
- Manage the use of outside counsel on various litigation
- Work with outside counsel and internal clients on various
environmental and regulatory issues.
- Act as signatory on a number of Company documents.
- In liaison with subject matter managers in Vancouver, directly
manage the customs and trade compliance and U. S. land departments
including the creation of annual objectives and performance
management of team members.
- Provide additional legal support for company business needs as
- Work with colleagues in TRL s legal department on various
precedent initiatives and other corporate projects.
- Lead or participate in special projects for TRL. Current
- Compliance coordinator for TRL s Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money
- Oversight of company-wide Customs and Trade Compliance
- Creation of a company-wide contract management system
- While the General Counsel will interact with colleagues in TRL
s 14 member legal department, this position must be able to work
independently and with minimal supervision.Qualifications:
- J. D. from an accredited law school.
- Member of a state bar in good standing.
- Must become a licensed member of the State of Washington
- Minimum 8-10 years of legal experience, preferably as a general
counsel or division general counsel.
- Background as a corporate and commercial generalist, preferably
with experience in environmental matters or natural resources.
- Good working knowledge of commercial contracts and indemnity
- Understanding of corporate governance.
- Sound legal and commercial judgment.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the
ability to communicate concisely to clients and to provide balanced
advice regarding risks.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to get along well with others and foster relationships
with clients and colleagues at all levels within the
- Ability to solve problems creatively and skillfully negotiate
complex agreements, all while inspiring trust and facilitating
collaboration with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to align with business objectives within established
- Strategic, adaptable and versatile.
- Discreet, tactful and customer-service oriented.About
Spokane:The largest city in Eastern Washington, Spokane is located
on the Spokane River, 110 miles south of the Canadian border,
approximately 30 miles from Idaho border, and 300 miles east of
Seattle.In the Inland Northwest, the Spokane region serves as a
business, transportation, medical, industrial and cultural hub. The
region s low-cost living and lifestyle opportunities combined with
the area s competitive cost of doing business create a positive
environment for employees and their families to work, play and
live.About Teck:At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work
collaboratively and respect each person s unique perspective and
contribution.Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic
team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter
electronically.We wish to thank all applicants for their interest
and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates
selected for interviews will be contacted.Your application to this
posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and
necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of
recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the
confidentiality of personal information.Teck is a diversified
resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral
development with major business units focused on copper,
steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver,
Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under
the symbols TECK. A and TECK. B and the New York Stock Exchange
under the symbol TECK.The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck s
approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to
confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it
operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the
Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight
year, indicating that Teck s sustainability practices rank in the
top 10 per cent of the world s 2,500 largest public companies in
the S&P Global Broad Market Index.Learn more about Teck at or
Keywords: Teck, Spokane , General Counsel & Secretary, Administration, Clerical , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!