Mental Health Counselor - Psychiatric Unit
Company: Providence Health & Services
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Providence is calling a Mental Health Counselor ( Psychiatric Unit
, NIght Shift, 0.0 FTE) to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
in Spokane, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering
every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is
accessible for all - especially those who are poor and
In this position you will:
- Customer Service: Maintains and promotes positive, open and
honest interpersonal relationships with customers (physicians,
employees, visitors, patients, and other PSHMC publics). Provides
high quality service to all customers; focuses on understanding
customers' needs and follows through. Demonstrates respect for the
capabilities, different cultures and or personalities of co-workers
and Medical Center publics within the mission/values of PSHMC.
- Communication: Promotes and demonstrates effective, open and
honest written and verbal communication skills.
- Self Management: Demonstrates self-management behaviors which
reflect a positive image of PSHMC, following established policies
and procedures and promote an efficient, cost effective work
- Ownership /Stewardship and Accountability: Demonstrates good
stewardship of resources by treating property of customers,
Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center and co-workers with care and
respect.Teamwork: Works cooperatively and collaboratively with all
levels of staff and other disciplines for problem solving without
- Flexibility: Demonstrates flexibility by readily adapting to
different situations to complete work.
- As Assigned by the RN:
- Implements selected unit and patient care activities and
provides input for the development and evaluation of the
multidisciplinary plan of care.
- Interviews patient/family to obtain psychosocial history,
complete mental status exam.
- Accurately completes and legibly documents delegated portions
of the admission data collection and procedures according to unit
- Performs ongoing observation of patient's condition. Reports
significant findings and changes to the RN.
- Contributes to the development of the Multidisciplinary
Treatment Plan by sharing observations and perceptions of the
patient status with the RN or at Team Conference.
- Works cooperatively with Interdisciplinary Team members.
- Organizes and establishes priorities to perform assigned work
in a timely and orderly manner as directed by the RN.
- Provides patient care as delegated by RN team leader according
to established competencies, policies, procedures and demonstrates
working knowledge of equipment used in performing assigned
- Participates in establishment and maintenance of therapeutic
environment, patient relationships, and treatment modalities
considering age and culture, and according to unit guidelines and
- Creates a safe environment for the patient through appropriate
intervention as determined by the patient's status.
- Provides information and education to patient/family related to
unit routines, programs and Multidisciplinary Treatment Plan as
directed by the RN.
- Implements and reinforces defined patient/family teaching plan
as directed by the RN. Reports patient/family progress or concern
with plan to RN.
- Provides psychosocial, spiritual and cultural support for
patients/families as defined by the Multidisciplinary Treatment
Plan and directed by the RN.
- Performs seclusion and restraint procedures and documents
- Accurately and legibly documents observations, elements of care
provided, and the patient's responses on the appropriate form.
- Actively participates in management of aggressive assaultive
- Exhibits behaviors which enhance teamwork in providing patient
care and accomplishing unit goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates flexibility by re-establishing priorities and work
plan to compensate for unanticipated changes in work volume,
emergencies, staffing and scheduling changes to adequately meet
- Informs the RN when difficult problems, unusual developments or
activities occur which affect the RN's responsibilities.
- Participates in the problem-solving process in the development
and implementation of unit goals and objectives.
- Recognizes own limitation and seeks assistance from the RN when
- Implements and reinforces defined patient/family teaching plan
as directed by the RN. Reports patient/family progress or concerns
to the RN.
- Participates in Performance Improvement as assigned.
- Intervenes and provides feedback when unsafe practice and/or
inappropriate behaviors are witness and informs the RN/Manager
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance from the RN
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree
- Applicants who apply for an Agency Affiliated Counselor
credential through the Department of Health within seven days of
employment can provide services within the agency for up to 60 days
while the department processes their application. Applicants must
stop working on the 60th day of employment if the credential has
not been issued. During this time, applicants may not provide
unsupervised counseling until the department of their employer has
completed a criminal background check. Unsupervised means the
supervisor is not physically present at the location where the
- OR possess a valid and unencumbered Washington State
License/Registration for one of the following: Certified Counselor,
Mental Health Counselor, Licensed Advance Social Worker or Licensed
Independent Clinical Social Worker required.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology or related Human Services
- Experience working as a mental health counselor
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital has a
commanding presence in Spokane, Washington and is a beacon of hope
and healing for patients throughout the region. We have over 600
beds and are chosen by people from across the state for the da
Vinci surgical robotic for heart surgery and parents from all over
the Inland Northwest who have children with life-threatening
conditions know they'll find the care and comfort they need at
Sacred Heart Children's Hospital.
At Providence, our strength lies in Our Promise of "Know me, care
for me, ease my way." Working at our family of organizations means
that regardless of your role, we'll walk alongside you in your
career, supporting you so you can support others. We provide
best-in-class benefits and we foster an inclusive workplace where
diversity is valued, and everyone is essential, heard and
respected. Together, our 120,000 caregivers (all employees) serve
in over 50 hospitals, over 1,000 clinics and a full range of health
and social services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico,
Oregon, Texas and Washington. As a comprehensive health care
organization, we are serving more people, advancing best practices
and continuing our more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor
Requsition ID: P349589
Company: Providence Jobs
Job Category: Behavioral Health
Job Function: Clinical Care
Career Track: Clinical Professional
Department: 3040 PSYCH ADULT MAIN
Address: WA Spokane 101 W 8th Ave
Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender,
disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed,
national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation,
marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited
by local, state, or federal law.
Keywords: Providence Health & Services, Spokane , Mental Health Counselor - Psychiatric Unit, Healthcare , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!