Mental Health Technician - (CNA) (NAR)
Posted on: May 26, 2023
SUMMARY STATEMENT & PURPOSE
The Mental Health Technician functions as an active part of the
treatment team, providing continuous patient care, supervision,
interaction, and role modeling to patients. Provides group
"activities" and assists with milieu management. MHTs work under
the direction of a Registered Nurse.
All employees are expected to be pleasant, respectful, and
courteous in all interactions with patients, families, staff, and
visitors of the Hospital, as well as being a positive
representative of INBH at all times.
- High School Graduate or GED.
- Current BLS, First Aide, Handle with Care, and Verbal
De-Escalation certifications, provided by INBH PREFERRED
- Two (2) years of related patient care experience
- Knowledge of psychiatric patient care techniques with
understanding of mental illness
- Nursing Assistant Certification or higher EMPLOYEE RATES AND
- In addition to base hourly rate, employees receive shift
differentials ranging from $1.00 to $5.00 per hour
- One hundred sixty-eight hours paid time off per year to include
6 major holidays.
- Employees (and their families) are covered by medical, dental,
vision, and basic life insurance with FSA/HSA available.
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Tuition reimbursement Qualifications
SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
All functions are essential functions unless otherwise noted.
The job functions of this position are not limited to the duties
- Accountable for patient safety; routinely check patients
through observation rounds and compliance with suicide and/or
- Accompany patients to cafeteria and supervise meals.
- Orient new patients to the unit and their room.
- Teach and assist patients with personal hygiene and activities
of daily living
- Complete community safety searches as indicated.
- Complete report sheets as directed.
- Comply with standards for infection control, OSHA regulations
and risk management. Report unsafe conditions.
- Recognize and respond to priorities in patient care
- Supervises and assists patients in all patient areas.
- Check patients for contraband and manage patient's valuables
- Report suspected change in condition and/or potential crisis
situations to the nurse in charge.
- Take responsibility to be kept informed and work to minimize
delays in processes, procedures, and service delivery.
- Assume responsibility for the completion of all patient care
responsibilities and other assigned duties.
PHYSICAL & SENSORY REQUIREMENTS, WORK ENVIRONMENT & CONDITIONS:
- Ability to stand, sit or walk up to six hours, sit for up to
- Ability to safely escort patients using stairs and elevators on
a daily basis.
- Ability to move frequently is required in the delivery of
- Visual acuity is needed for accurate reading of patient charts
and for demonstrating activities or assisting patients in
- Ability to work inside and outside in varying temperatures and
- Ability to occasionally push/pull wheeled carts from 200 lbs.
(e.g. crash cart, EKG machine, patient on stretchers or in
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 10 lbs., (e.g.
juices, charts, patient's belongings) and occasionally lift and
carry up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to frequently kneel, bend, stoop, turn, twist, reach
above, at or below shoulder height.
- Ability to frequently handle, through gross and fine
manipulations, simple grasping of small objects (e.g. telephone
buttons, thermometers with both hands).
- Ability to see well enough to read written material and discern
a variety of odors.
- Ability to occasionally handle hazardous/infectious waste.
- Ability to work in an environment where the noise level is
frequently high; where chemicals are frequently used for cleaning;
where mechanical and electrical hazards may be occasionally
present; and where dust, mist and steam are frequently generated in
- Ability to work at a rapid pace and tolerate a variety of
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in crisis
All employees of Inland Northwest Behavioral Health who have direct
or indirect access to patient health information must treat that
information with the strictest confidentiality.
Keywords: UHS, Spokane , Mental Health Technician - (CNA) (NAR), Healthcare , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...