Senior Systems Database Administrator
Company: The Washington Trust Bank
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Washington Trust Bank, the largest independently-owned,
full-service commercial bank in the Northwest, has served personal,
private, commercial and wealth management clients throughout the
region since 1902. With assets exceeding $8.8 billion and 42
offices throughout Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, the need for
confident technology has never been greater. As the demand for
digital solutions evolves, we are expanding our IT teams to provide
top of the line technology, procedure, and strategy that will be
essential in the continuation of Washington Trust Bank's long
history of service to our employees, clients and communities.
Responsible for managing the Bank's client/server environment and
other network-based application systems. Provides Level 2/3
technical support for the Bank's desktop and server operating
systems, applications and file and print services. This Systems
Administration position also specializes in Database Administration
as well as Other Functions (including but not limited to
architecture planning, project management, capacity planning,
etc.). MAJOR SYSTEMS FUNCTIONS (TEAM)
- Monitors the daily performance of the Bank's server-based
systems (physical and virtual) and makes proactive adjustments as
required to ensure a high degree of availability.
- Performs configuration management for the network's physical
and virtual desktop and server environment. Monitors, tracks and
updates system configurations as required.
- Maintains physical and virtual desktop/server security
configurations per IT Department processes and policies to ensure
an ongoing secure network computing environment.
- Administers host printing, Email, disk-based reporting, file
and print services, office automation and other bank-wide back
- Responsible for setup and configuration of all server hardware
and software, including those running in a virtualized server
- Manages disk-based storage systems, including Storage Area
Networks (SANS), Network Attached Storage (NAS) and direct
attached. Monitors performance and makes changes as required to
ensure a high state of availability. Monitors disk capacity and
participates in capacity planning activities.
- Monitors server environments, both at the main data center,
secondary data center and at other remote locations, to ensure
optimal operating conditions are maintained.
- Performs technical analysis and support in the areas of
physical and virtual desktop and server systems. Works closely with
other members of the IT department to maintain, configure, update,
change and troubleshoot client/server systems to meet the
operational and production requirements.
- Diagnoses and corrects technical problems that may occur in the
operation of server/desktop systems and software applications.
- Assists Business/Technical Analysts in the technical analysis,
design, and implementation of new information systems to support
all functional areas of the financial institution. This includes
providing input for the technical planning and selection of
hardware and software applications to meet the Bank's present and
future information and operational needs.
- Works closely with production personnel in the maintenance and
support of the network and system application environment. May be
required to act as backup support for the production and
application support areas.
- Researches, analyzes, and maintains currency in the areas of
new technology, developments and ideas that affect the Bank's
current and future information and operational system needs.
- Maintains knowledge of current client/server requirements and
business unit application needs and their role in the day-to-day
functions of the Bank. Understands strategic uses for
- Provides timely and effective technical support to all
functional areas of the bank in accordance with the department's
overall mission, goals and Information Technology Plan objectives.
SPECIALIZED DATABASE FUNCTIONS (INDIVIDUAL)
- Manages the daily operations of all production, test and
development SQL databases.
- Maintains and monitors the performance, integrity and quality
of all internal corporate databases. When performance issues arise,
determines the most effective way to increase performance including
hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query
- Monitors the performance and operating characteristics of
supported, third-party SQL databases.
- Controls database system capacity to meet existing and
projected future requirements.
- Works with various technical, security and compliance groups to
develop and implement policies and procedures for ensuring the
security and integrity of both internal and vendor-owned
- Implements and reviews data models, database designs, data
access, and data maintenance codes in accordance with industry best
- Works closely with other IT and business unit personnel to
maintain, configure, update, change and troubleshoot database
systems to meet production, test and development requirements.
- Diagnoses and resolves technical problems that may occur in the
operation of internal database systems, including performance and
capacity issues, data replication, and other distributed data
- Monitors, tracks and updates database and other system
configurations in accordance with changes in database technologies
and business requirements.
- Researches, analyzes, and maintains currency in the areas of
new database technology, developments, and ideas that affect the
Bank's current and future operational requirements.
- Provides timely and effective database technical support to all
functional areas of the Bank in accordance with the department's
overall mission, goals and Information Technology Plan
- Builds new SQL Servers including the imaging of operating
system and installing the SQL Service, Reporting Services, Analysis
Services, and other applications as required.
- Tracks, migrates and upgrades databases to latest version of
SQL Server based on vendor parameters.
- Ensures all databases are backed up in a way that meets the
business's Recovery Point Objective (RPO) using "Commvault" and
tests restores to ensure business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
can be met.
- Provides Administrative role within the "RecoverPoint"
environment used for BCPDR to include building new LUNs on the SAN,
building new servers in the VMWare environment, and setting up
replications between datacenters.
- Troubleshoots SQL Server service outages as they occur,
including after-hours and weekends. OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Documents business unit requirements, processes, and
procedures, including updates or modifications.
- Maintains overall knowledge of general banking practices.
- Maintains overall knowledge of hardware, software, and network
- Assists with special projects or duties as assigned.
- Assists with 3rd party patch management as needed.
- Utilizes Cherwell for change control and incident
- Supports other IT infrastructure personnel and functions as
- Performs compliance and risk management duties as required or
- Regular, reliable attendance is required.
- Serves as backup to other technical positions and assists with
special projects as assigned. KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or related field or
related, equivalent work experience.
- Microsoft Certified Database Systems Administrator (MCDBA)
certification or other technical certification desired.
- Proven technical support experience and technical skills in the
areas of network operating systems, physical and virtual
client/server management, Email, backup/disaster recovery,
enterprise-class databases, information security and Internet
- Functional knowledge of or work experience within a supported
business unit desired
- Demonstrates organizational and analytical skills, strategic
thinking and ability to work collaboratively or independently.
- Strong communication skills; ability to analyze, synthesize and
articulate complex ideas into layman's terms; technical writing
skills as needed for documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with and
work effectively with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated proficiency with various end-user software
Keywords: The Washington Trust Bank, Spokane , Senior Systems Database Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!