Company: Washington State University
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Summary of Duties:
The Biostatistician provides analytic and statistical support
for the Institute for Research and Education to Advance Community
Health (IREACH), which conducts clinical and translational research
studies focused on public health and health disparities. Priority
populations include American Indian, Alaska Native, Native
Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, LatinX, rural, and migrant people.
Research foci within the Institute include, but are not limited
to, cognitive aging, Alzheimers disease, cerebrovascular disease,
psychological resilience, social support, stress and inflammation,
sleep health, suicide prevention, cardiovascular disease, diabetes
management, nutritional epidemiology, maternal and child health,
mens health, addiction research, and cancer screening.
This role seeks a Biostatistician with specific experience in
supervised and unsupervised machine learning, especially in the
context of complex clinical and imaging datasets.
The Biostatistician will join the Institutes Methods Core, which
is a collegial and highly collaborative group of epidemiologists,
biostatisticians, demographers, and economists who support
quantitative research led by Institute faculty. The majority of
work assigned to the Biostatistician involves developing analysis
plans according to stated research goals; supporting studies with
respect to sample selection, database construction, cleaning data,
checking data quality, and data analysis; writing methods and
results sections for peer-reviewed manuscripts; and contributing to
grant writing or other research efforts as assigned. The
Biostatistician will also participate in team meetings and document
protocols and procedures as needed.
Statistical Analysis - 70%
- Conducts statistical analysis and methodological support for
observational and intervention studies, involving both
cross-sectional and longitudinal data using a variety of
statistical methodology including survival analysis, categorical
data analysis, multiple linear regression, generalized linear
models, mixed-effects models, and advanced missing data
- Collaborate as a team member on observational and intervention
research conducted with tribal and other community partners across
- Conceptualizes and plans appropriate statistical analyses for
manuscripts and grant applications. Interprets, summarizes, and
communicates results in writing and by oral presentation.
- Work withIREACHData Manager to provide consulting and
programming for database infrastructure and management.
- Combines and merges datasets that are acquired from different
sources. Creates templates for researchers, cleans and transfers
data to different formats from Excel toSQLandSAStoSTATA.
- Plans and documents computer data file structure; develops,
programs, manages, and maintains complex statistical databases;
performs or supervises data entry.
- Work with faculty investigators to review questionnaires and
surveys, conduct regular data quality checks, and generate
recruitment and retention reports during study implementation.
Manuscript Development? - 15%
- Contributes as co-author to writing manuscripts for publication
in peer- reviewed publications, with the option to be lead author
for selected manuscripts if desired.
- Assists with preparing research papers, abstracts, and
- Produces technical reports and memorandum describing
procedures, data collection, and/or research results. Provides
consultation on new reporting efforts and/or developing/piloting
Study Design and Planning - 10%
- Contributes to study development and planning, especially as
related to study design, sampling, sample size and power, and
selecting appropriate biostatistical methods.
- Formulates research designs and suggest ways to improve designs
by identifying potential problems, recommending and implementing
- Assists in study designs (clinical trials and observational
studies), including sample size and power analysis. Participates
with other statisticians in the development of statistical
methodology, study design, and data analysis.
Other - 5%
Positions require a Masters degree in Statistics, Biostatistics,
Mathematics, Computer Science, or other related field and
professional experience directly related to the duties and
responsibilities specified. Any equivalent combination of relevant
education and experience may be substituted for the educational
requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Expertise with statistical programming software (Stata or R
- Education or applied experience in correlated data analysis,
including generalized estimating equations and random-effects
- The candidate must possess excellent communication skills, in
particular the ability to clearly convey complex statistical
concepts and analytic results to diverse audiences including
non-methodologist researchers and non-scientists, both in person
and in writing.
- Proactive problem-solving skills, ability to work
independently, and ability to take the appropriate autonomous
initiative to carry out study-related functions.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
skills, particularly scientific writing.
- Outstanding ethical integrity and a strong commitment to
confidentiality in dealing with scientific data and results.
- Excellent time management and ability to work on multiple
- Occasional local or out of state travel, including overnight,
- Possession of a valid drivers license by date of hire.
- Experience working with one or more of our priority
- Experience with cluster-randomized trials, and machine
- Experience using large datasets, including (but not limited to)
electronic medical records,HMO, or longitudinal cohort data.
- Experience with harmonizing variables from multiple
- Demonstrated experience using SharePoint for collaboration.
Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience preparing technical reports or manuscripts.
- Willingness to participate in didactic training opportunities
- Willingness to learn about and adhere to preferences and
expectations for research collaboration espoused by various tribal
Keywords: Washington State University, Spokane , Biostatistician, Other , Pullman, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!