WSC Tutoring Services Member, Spokane
Company: International Rescue Committee
Posted on: November 23, 2022
Requisition ID: req34919
Job Title: WSC Tutoring Services Member, Spokane
Sector: Youth Services
Employment Category: Volunteer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Spokane, WA USA
IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee
(IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered
by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of
their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40
countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the
way from harm to home. IRC opened an office in Seattle in 1976 and
provides a continuum of services including intensive case
management, employment and economic empowerment services,
immigration assistance, health and wellness programming, and
education support to refugee and immigrant families in Washington
State. IRC Seattle is committed to providing trauma-informed,
equitable, and accessible services and maintaining and evolving a
diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace.
Job Overview: The vision of the IRC Spokane Youth Program is that
youth from refugee and immigrant backgrounds will have the skills
and resources necessary to pursue a future of opportunity. The
Youth Program Team works towards this vision by providing
educational and enrichment opportunities to help school-aged and
young adult youth from refugee and immigrant backgrounds catch up
on their education, accelerate English proficiency, plan and
prepare for post-secondary education and career, and build positive
relationships in the school and community. The Individualized
Learning Program Services Member is a Washington Service Corps
position, 10.5-month term (please review details below). This
position will provide individualized tutoring, academic support,
summer learning programs, and family engagement services to
students and families who recently arrived in the U.S. Typical
working hours are between 10am - 6pm or 11am - 7pm PST in order to
provide afterschool tutoring and meet with families. As the IRC WSC
Individualized Learning Program Services Member, you will have the
unique opportunity to partner with newcomer parents and their
children as they embark in this important chapter in their new
See job description and apply via the My Americorps Portal:
* Directly assist newcomer families with enrollment in IRC's
Individualized Tutoring Program & Virtual Summer Reading
* Provide academic support to newcomer students through IRC's
after-school individualized tutoring programs, and summer learning
* Provide ongoing systems navigation for newcomer families
including following up with families after school enrollment and
receiving referrals from IRC staff and school districts for
families having challenges effectively connecting with school.
* Help facilitate volunteer tutor training, onboarding, ongoing
observations, support, and feedback to IRC's volunteer tutor
* Conduct regular family outreach and feedback calls to ensure
individualized tutoring is high quality, meeting the needs of
students and families, and in alignment with IRC's tutoring
* Plan and facilitate IRC's Virtual Summer Reading Program and
participate in other in-person summer learning and recreation
programs as needed.
* Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocol.
* Participate in all program meetings, staff development
activities, and fully engage as a member of the IRC team.
* Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the
* Other related duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Youth Program Coordinator
Position directly supervises: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Resettlement, Volunteer and Development Team, Youth
Program, New Roots Program, Health Empowerment Program, Survivor
Services Program, Economic Empowerment Program, Immigration
Program, and other IRC departments
External: Families, Volunteers, School Districts (Teachers, Admin,
etc.), Community Based Organizations
* High School Diploma.
* Undergraduate degree related to Education or related field
* Experience in case work, education, or teaching/tutoring.
* Cross cultural experience with ELL families from refugee and/or
* Committed to anti-racism and continual learning and growth.
* Flexible and adaptable - able to quickly problem solve and change
plans and activities according to family needs or unexpected
* Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to work well with people of diverse cultural
* Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
* Ability to maintain responsibility for multiple tasks in the
context of a diverse, fast-paced work environment. Strong
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Zoom, or willingness to
* Comfortable talking on the phone with clients, will train to use
an interpreter phone service.
* Fluent in predominant language of local client base desired
(Dari, Pashto, Arabic, Somali, Swahili,
* Kinyarwanda, Ukrainian etc.) preferred.
* Willing to be First Aid/CPR certified upon hire.
AmeriCorps Eligibility Requirements:
Selected members should demonstrate the skills and commitments
required to successfully serve in the position, serve 40 hours a
week and meet the 1,700 minimum hour requirement for a full
10.5-month term of service. At a minimum, the following criteria
must be met:
* Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident (must
submit proof as defined by CNCS regulation).
* Be at least 18 years of age at the commencement of service (17
years of age with signed parental consent form).
* Members in tutoring positions must have a high school diploma or
GED at time of enrollment.
* Pass required National Service Criminal History Check.
* Not be listed on the National Sex Offender Public Registry
Washington Service Corps Benefits:
* Living stipend of $2066 per month (before deductions and
withholdings provided by Washington Service Corps (WSC).
* Up to $6,345 Education Award that can be used for future
schooling or to pay off existing qualified student loan debt (upon
successful completion of the service term, subject to federal tax)
upon successful completion of 10.5 month term of service and 1,700
hours of service.
* Basic health insurance (not including vision coverage) provided
* Student loan forbearance on qualifying loans.
* Payment of interest on qualified student loans that accrued
during the service term (paid after successful completion of
* Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as
"employment" towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
* Assistance with childcare costs provided through WSC.
To learn more about the Washington Service Corps program benefits
* Standard office setting at IRC's office in Spokane and
remote/on-site work within Spokane County;
* Typical working hours are between 10am - 6pm or 11am - 7pm PST in
order to provide afterschool tutoring and meet with families.
* Occasional evening or weekend activities as needed..
* Need access to reliable transportation to travel and work
off-site (i.e. schools, apartment complexes, etc.).
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC's duty to
provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and
our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients,
and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for
interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order
to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to
building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We
strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate
that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer
and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the
basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender,
gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with
disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate
in the job application or interview process, to perform essential
job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of
benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays,
20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical
insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per
month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare,
childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with
up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7%
base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life
insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to
our staff and their families to support counseling and care in
times of crisis and mental health struggles.
IRC- leading the way from harm to home
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants
on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national
origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, disability or any other characteristic protected by
Please Apply at
Keywords: International Rescue Committee, Spokane , WSC Tutoring Services Member, Spokane, Other , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!