Commercial Underwriter II
Posted on: October 12, 2019
Company DescriptionSTCU is a growing regional credit union that is
consistently rated one of the top-performing credit unions in the
nation, and we have been named as one of Fortune Magazine---s Great
Places to Work. We look for employees who have a strong desire to
serve others, are lifelong learners, are committed to working hard,
have a fun-loving attitude, and who want to make a difference in
our members--- lives. We love people who share our passion for
integrity, service, innovation, education, people, and
celebration.STCU offers excellent benefits:
- Paid time off
- Ten paid holidays
- Health plan --- medical, prescription drug, dental, and
- Short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Training and development programs
- Semi-annual success sharing planJob DescriptionThe Commercial
Underwriter II conducts in-depth financial analysis in assessing
commercial business requests for working capital lines, equipment
and commercial real estate along with ACH and Remote Deposit risks.
This position independently analyzes financial information
regarding the member's income, assets, investments or debts,
determines which credit structures best meet the member's needs and
financial circumstances while safeguarding the Credit Union from
risk of loss. The Commercial Underwriter II makes appropriate
recommendations on credit structure and loan covenants in a timely
manner with limited direction from the Senior Commercial
Underwriter.Principal AccountabilitiesMember Business Loans
- Perform thorough and technically accurate credit analysis by
spreading financial statements and underwriting all significant
facets of credit risk on existing members and prospective
- Evaluate and analyze the financial condition of individuals and
businesses and their ability to pay, which includes complex and
layered financial and organizational structures.
- Preparing thorough and technically accurate loan presentation
packages by researching data, underwriting all credit risks,
identifying strengths, weaknesses and mitigation of the
- Structure loan terms to compete competitively in the market
place while mitigating risk to an acceptable level.
- Prepare thorough and technically accurate credit quality
reviews of existing credit relationships.
- Negotiate terms and conditions of MBL---s within established
- Maintains clear communication channels with lenders and third
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Commercial Underwriter in
assigning loan grades.
- Submit monthly reports to the Senior Commercial
- Work collaboratively with all Commercial and Business Services
staff to achieve objectives, goals and provide outstanding member
service.Member Business Loan Approval Authority
- Review and approve member business loan (MBL) requests within
delegated lending authority.--
- Present credit requests in excess of delegated lending
authority to the Senior Commercial Underwriter with approval
- Assist in the development of and maintain a thorough knowledge
of and adhere to STCU---s Member Business Loan Policy, Standards
and Procedures, Participation Loan Policy and applicable regulatory
- Work proactively with and mentor other commercial loan
underwriters to ensure the quality and consistency of their credit
underwriting and financial analysis.--QualificationsKnowledge,
Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor---s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business
required. MBA, MAcc degree or similar Certificate preferred. Formal
credit training is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five years credit analysis and commercial credit
risk underwriting experience in all areas including commercial real
estate and SBA; as well as analyzing financial statements.
- Strong background in financial institution business loan
- Sound credit judgment and strong underwriting skills.
- Demonstrated above average working knowledge of various
analytical approaches to determine cash flow to include UCA,
Traditional, and NOI as appropriate to the type of borrower and
request being underwritten.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex or layered entity
borrowing structures to ensure a sound global financial
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office programs including Outlook,
Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including
preparing and delivering presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills required, including maintaining
positive relationships and excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse
work group, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to adapt to changes and prioritize and manage competing
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret data and understand and
communicate complex and diverse information, and effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
situations exercising flexibility and sound judgment in a
- Ability to make practical and timely decisions and explain
reasoning for decisions.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages,
ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Strong work ethic required, including the ability to complete
duties on time, consistently arrive at work on time as scheduled,
and ability to work flexible hours and overtime as
- Must be able to regularly talk, hear, see and operate a
computer keyboard and mouse.
- Occasionally lift, pull/push, and carry up to 10 pounds.Work
- Exposure to constant or intermittent sounds at a low or
moderate level consistent with an office setting.
- Exposure to high-stress, fast-paced, deadline-oriented
environment.Additional InformationPlease review our website for
more information at--www.stcu.org/careers.
Keywords: STCU, Spokane , Commercial Underwriter II, Other , Spokane, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!